Discovering your talent – How I did mine
Well I have been told how lucky I am that I know what I want and I am going after it. But it was not always the case. Like many others I also floundered and wiggled and waddled through life at a time. In fact it was so bad that the only thing I did well then was complain!
However a change started in my life about a decade ago; that was a turning point and I have been moving forward since. In discovering your talent the primary things that you need are prayer and writing materials. Really? yes! a lot of us have so many gifts or talents or skills whatever name we wish to call it but we do not know that this can be a career path. When I was in secondary school I loved to write, I would sit down alone and write and read, there was no internet or Facebook back then and the best way to keep busy was to either go out to play with the other kids or stay indoors and play with your siblings. I was bossy so when we played (my siblings and I) I was either the teacher or the mother; I was never the cook. Now I know why!
Now back to a decade ago. I lost my job and had nothing to do, I was desperate because I was staying with my siblings and I had expenses and obligations to meet. So one day I sat down to pray and pray hard, to tell you honestly I am not the type that believe in bothering Baba God about things I think I should be able to handle and I am sure a lot of us are like that. But I prayed and the answer was to make a career out of my gifts. This is where your writing materials come into play. I kept thinking to myself what exactly are my gifts? What talents do I have and how in the world am I going to make money from it?! I sat down and began listing all the talents I thought I had. Then I looked at the opportunities that this talents (which are actually strengths) can give me. I began with the easy one of the lot which were writing, planning, project management (which was a skill I developed while working at my last place of employment) and put the three together to begin writing business plans for small businesses owned by friends. I came across a lot of opposition when I started if you must know; in fact a friend of mine told me that how can I be writing business plans when I don’t have a business of my own? So I worked for free. Then I did a lot of research and reading. My first laptop was on almost 24hours of the day every day and the only thing I spent so much money on was a good internet service provider (which I still do).
Today I am building other talents I have and working greatly at making them work. Don’t believe people who tell you that you have to focus only in one area or one talent. If that were the case the bible would not record 3 people given different number of talents; one was given 5, another 2 and the third 1. We read that the one with 5 did so well he got to identify 5 more talents and at a point had 10 talents. So you can be a great doctor and a great musician Dr. Alban and beautiful Nubia are good examples.
My mentor has a consulting business training young entrepreneurs and mentoring them, he has a thriving travel agency, he is a sports man and a nation builder among other things that he does. There are no divergent talents and your talents don’t have to complement each other.
Whether you have discovered your talents or just now want to, I believe that this steps would work well for you
- Ask God to lead you in identifying your God given talent
- Make a list of everything that is already inside you. What are those things that you do effortlessly and would continue to do even if you not paid for it? What fires you up in the morning?
- Always remember that God-given talents may be something you will normally overlook , you don’t really count as talent, e.g. talking, cleaning, always taking beautiful pictures with your android phone, etc.
- Be open about your talent. Don’t hide it! the fact that it sounds silly or odd to you does not make it stupid. A talent is supposed to be easy for you and difficult for others (laughing).
- Please don’t allow people to put out the light of your passion! In as much as you are been open don’t be influenced by negative people and their comments
- Begin to build your talents, research study, read and learn. All of this does not necessarily cost you money, too much information is available on the internet and you can learn FREELY!
Your talent is your currency to success, it is what you have in exchange for what I can give (money), If you ask me to come speak at your event you would pay me for it. However, you would not ask me that if I did not first discover talking as a talent and then build and develop that talent.I don’t know much but I believe that knowing who I am has helped me to get to where I am and will be the wheels that will take me to where I am going to! Discovering who you are helps you identify your talents, so go FIND YOU!